Powered By Blogger

Friday 14 January 2011

Week Four - Attention and Interpretation

Hello again! I cannot believe it is week four already. How time flies! I wonder how many of you last week done the sensation test. If you did please comment on my box and let me know the example and how it went. This week Ruth taught us more on the process of perception, attention and interpretation. Attention is where consumers focus on stimuli when they are exposed to products within their range.

So I have decided to again put this to the test! Please let me introduce you to, Oats so simple! My task I set my self was to deconstruct the packaging and see how the packaging grabs consumer’s attention. The packaging grabs the consumer’s attention by using the ‘cooks in 2 minutes’ label on the front of the packaging. For example this product would be great for a young, healthy, active working professional and advertising it cooks in only two minutes provides a quick and healthy breakfast. With the packaging also showing a background of what seems to be a field, it gives the sense this is a healthy, organic and natural product. With it being honey and almond flavour, the packaging shows honey being drizzled, which gives the impression it is tasty as well as being healthy.

Here are some pictures of the packaging:




How does this packaging draw your attention? I appreciate your comments and opinions, and would love to hear what draws your attention!

The final stage in the process is interpretation. Interpretation is the process where meanings are appointed to stimuli. Consumers alter in terms of the stimuli that they perceive. The eventual meaning to these stimuli changes as well. Two or more people can see or hear an event or product, seen from one point of view gives one impression, however seen by a different view, it gives a different impression. Their interpretation can be completely different. This can be due to many things depending on what the consumer is affected by. For example this could be due to their age group, gender, class in society, race and sexuality. Consumers perceive the world differently. For example, Oats so simple is aimed for both male and female and their target age group is between 25 and 35. It targets a working professional who seeks a healthy lifestyle.  It shows this with the packaging showing fresh honey with a range of healthy benefits such as being high in fibre, no artificial flavourings, colourings or preservatives.

Personally, over the past few weeks learning in more depth into perception, I am really starting to get intrigued into the minds of consumers, and I am starting to get excited about getting stuck into my coursework! I thought I would never see the day that I got excited about doing work!

Hope you now know more about the stages of perception. Come back next week to read about week five!

No comments:

Post a Comment